Monday, March 18, 2019

Duolingo Test Drive

I tested Duolingo to brush up on my Spanish language skills. I was impressed with how user-friendly the interface was and how quickly I was able to begin practicing Spanish. I would think that could be useful for social work students who are going to be engaging with Spanish-speakers but may not want to take formal classes any longer. This would be an easy thing to incorporate in to a learning module if it were appropriate. The other tools looked interesting as well and the flashcard options would be helpful too for learning terminology, vocabulary and theories. I'm wondering how these could be useful in graduate courses?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Abby,
    I like the way that you approached this technology tool. Until listening to Joe's behind-the-scenes video and reading blogs, I hadn't thought about using these tools outside of a more formal education. This is probably because the tool I tested, Quizlet, is geared more toward supplementing in-class learning. However, I can see my family and friends finding Duolingo fun and helpful in a more casual way. I'm not sure about graduate courses, but I suspect this tool could be useful for students and faculty traveling internationally for semesters abroad or short-term mission trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was fun and I felt more like I was playing a game, honestly. Kind of sneaky learning. ;) As I reflect more on the tool, I noticed that it would ask me to practice in multiple ways--sometimes I would answer a multiple choice. Other times, I would translate a sentence by dragging words into the correct order or speaking a phrase that it would replay. By asking me to demonstrate my abilities in all of those ways, I feel significantly more challenged than if I were just learning vocabulary or answering in one way.

    ReplyDelete